Manager - Distribution Engineering
WaterOne is an independent public water utility. We've been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area since 1957. Every day, nearly 455,000 customers rely on WaterOne to provide fresh, clean water on demand. It's a responsibility we deliver on.
Our passion is water because water touches everything we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our community by bringing award-winning water to their homes, businesses, and public places.
WaterOne provides our employees with many options of Flexible Work Schedules with an emphasis on a healthy work-life balance. This can be seen in many different forms, from varying schedules, to work from home options, and other accommodations that employees may take advantage of.
The purpose of this position is to supervise, plan, direct, and coordinate the activities of the department in the design, maintenance, and operation of the distribution system including, but not limited to, improvements due to growth from new development, municipal street and storm sewer projects, and aging infrastructure.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Evaluate the Master Plan and its impact on the overall expansion and integrity of the distribution system and implement the plan.
- Coordinate and oversee the relocations, improvements, and expansions to the distribution system as a result of municipal or developer-initiated projects, master planning, or asset management program including the oversight of easement acquisitions.
- Prepare and monitor the annual budget for department expenses, replacement mains, relocations of mains and general improvement mains, and fire hydrants and service connections.
- Manage the asset management plan for the ongoing long-term improvement of the transmission and distribution system.
- Prepare the annual update of the five-year plan for general improvement mains, replacement mains, condition assessment program, staffing requirements, and equipment needs of the department.
- Review the engineering designs and set standards for the distribution system.
- Review and administer construction contract documents, material procurement specifications, construction standards, and materials standards for distribution system improvements.
- Ensure mapping and drafting standards are upheld and consistent with industry standards.
- Provide back-up oversight to assure that the water main extension policies for developer-initiated projects are uniformly and properly applied.
- Manage the activities and fees of consulting engineering firms working on WaterOne projects.
- Evaluate results of hydraulic model analysis for distribution system mains and fire flow capacity and provide direction to staff for design of distribution system components.
- Evaluate results of hydraulic model analysis for 30-psi rule compliance and provide direction to staff for recommending needed improvements, and denial or acceptance of service connection applications.
- Prepare action item summaries for presentation to the Board of Directors. Attend Board and Committee meetings as necessary for input relative to department issues on the agendas.
- Respond to customer complaints using established procedures and protocol.
- Work with appropriate staff for planning and coordination of projects.
- Maintain positive interaction and cooperation with developers, cities, county, state, public works, and engineering officials with adjoining water utilities.
- Participate in strategic planning and goal setting for the department and division to support the strategic plan.
- Work on special projects for WaterOne, division, or department as assigned.
- Recommend when various work activities in the department should be contracted. Administer these contracts and evaluate work of contractors.
- Ensure departmental activities are consistent with WaterOne Rules and Regulations and conform to applicable WaterOne policies.
- Plan and provide for continuing professional development, training, and education of department staff.
- Participate and/or encourage staff to participate in water industry research and activities such as: Water Research Foundation (WRF), AWWA, etc. projects providing awareness to WaterOne on leading edge technologies and practices.
- Support the maintenance function of the distribution system with emphasis on immediate response to interruptions in service to restore normal operations.
- Provide regular and timely communication and information sharing with department staff.
- Continually work toward improving knowledge of the nuances of the entire distribution system, pressure service zones, chronic low or high-pressure areas, deficiencies of mains, and fire protection.
- Initiates/recommends personnel actions such as pay changes, job coaching, counseling, discipline, termination, and administrative action when needed. Complete performance appraisals for staff and provide discipline, coaching, and praise.
- Delegate assignments and provide supervision, direction and support for staff to effectively complete assignments and responsibilities of the department.
- Act as Division Director when requested during Director's absence.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Customer Service Commitment
WaterOne employees shall continuously strive to meet or exceed the expectations of both their internal and external customers. Questions and concerns shall be acknowledged on the same day whenever possible, but no later than the next business day. Issues shall be resolved as promptly as possible, with the goal of maximizing customer satisfaction.
These key core competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee at WaterOne:
- Communicates Effectively – Demonstrates ability to listen and express oneself effectively and shares information as appropriate for the position needed to perform the job effectively.
- Conscientiousness – Expresses the motivation to perform one's job in a careful, thorough way that adheres to the standards of honesty and integrity.
- Customer Focus – Demonstrates a concern for satisfying both internal and external customers and builds collaborative relationships with customers and stakeholders.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Demonstrates the ability to effectively coordinate with others to achieve goals and solve problems by maintaining flexibility and open mindedness.
- Problem Solving/Drive for Results – Demonstrates the ability to find solutions to complex problems and consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
In addition to the core competencies, these key competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
- Creating a Positive Work Environment – Treats people with respect, encourages teamwork, and expresses confidence in people's ability to master their roles.
- Decision Making and Judgement – Makes timely, informed decisions that consider the facts, goals, constraints, and risks.
- Influencing Others – Influences others to be excited and committed to furthering the organization's objectives.
- Planning and Organizing – Coordinates ideas and resources to achieve goals in daily tasks.
- Safety and Security Focus – Adheres to all workplace safety and security policies, standards, and practices.
- Water Distribution Systems – Knowledge of operating, calibrating, maintaining, troubleshooting, and diagnosing system-specific infrastructure components and equipment.
In addition to the core and position competencies, these supervisor competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
- Developing Others – Develops people to meet both their career and the organization's goals while creating trust and a positive work environment.
- Ensures Accountability and Manages People's Performance – Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments, complete tasks, manage performance, and provide timely feedback to meet expectations.
- Strategic Mindset – Understands the business by using a strategic and global perspective to make complex decisions, explore innovative solutions, and build networks to make the big picture attainable.
GIS Lead – Distribution
Required Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Mechanical or comparable Engineering studies from an accredited university.
- Registration to practice as a Professional Engineer in the state of Kansas or current eligibility to apply for certification is required.
- Ten years of engineering and technical experience in water utility distribution or comparable industry, with an emphasis on distribution operations, engineering design, and construction contract preparation.
- Five years of experience as a supervisor or lead engineer.
- Certification by California State University Sacramento in Water Distribution System Operation and Maintenance is required within 12 months of date in position.
- Certification as a Grade IV Water Distribution Operator is required within 24 months of date in position.
- Must have strong leadership skills.
- Ability to work independently, delegate projects to individuals/teams, and track multiple workloads effectively.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to communicate with engineering staff, construction staff, other WaterOne department members, the public, contractors, city officials, and developers.
- Knowledge of pipeline construction and contract administration.
- Demonstrated ability to approach problem solving in a logical manner.
- Ability to make timely, sound decisions and follow up with decisive action.
- Well-organized, detail orientated, and able to set priorities.
- Strong ability to review details of contracts, specifications, drawings, standards, invoices, and pay applications.
- Must be able to handle a diversity of concurrent work demands and deal well with deadlines.
- Must maintain good working relationships with employees, customers and other outside contacts.
- Ability to work on several projects concurrently.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, must be imaginative, and be able to respond to occasional emergencies.
- Ability to identify and track Key Performance Indicators for the Department.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software with emphasis in SharePoint, Power Point, Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Proficient or ability to become proficient in the use of UKG, SAP, GIS, and AIMS software applications.
- Ability to keep accurate daily records of conversations and activities.
- Cooperative attitude and ability to exhibit diplomacy and judgment when working with the public, fellow employees, developers, contractors, or other public officials.
- Be in possession of a valid driver's license and continuously meet WaterOne driving standards.
- Available for emergency call-outs.
- Must pass post offer medical exam, including drug screen and background verification (may not apply to current employees).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Postgraduate degree in Engineering and/or Business Administration.
- Construction experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally lift/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee must be able to use a computer for multiple hours a day. The employee must be able to move occasionally from one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. The employee must be able to move occasionally from one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in both the field and a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate except when in the field on a jobsite.
WaterOne provides a total compensation package that includes:
- Competitive base pay
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, and LTD insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Voluntary deferred compensation savings account
- Mandatory cash balance plan
- Comprehensive wellness program
- Educational assistance program
- A variety of other benefit programs and activities
Equal Opportunity Employer
WaterOne is an equal opportunity employer and upholds a non-discrimination policy. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, military status, or marital status in making employment and business decisions. We also prohibit harassment and retaliation in the workplace and in our dealings with the public. We encourage and welcome diversity of backgrounds in our workforce. WaterOne complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA).
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/j7bo7XcBY8POSwJZFl21l